For as long as email has been publicly available, email scams have been doing the rounds. However, it has become very apparent that more and more frequently, business owners across the UK have found themselves the victims of such crimes, especially in regards to domain name scams.
Companies, often located in China, try very hard to pull the wool over business owners that one of their domain names or trademarks is at risk of being fraudulently used by another unrelated third party.
Potential content within domain name scams
- A common theme amongst all domain names scams is the sense of urgency they suggest. Regardless of the content within them, all will state that if action is not taken, valuable rights will be lost.
- It is also fairly commonplace for explicit warnings to be issued to frightened business owners, asking for renewal fees.
- The email may warn about the negative consequences of a brand name or trademark being registered by businesses/individuals in China. They may also request a fee for applying directly with them for a Chinese domain name.
Received an email that doesn’t look right?
- Here’s some best practices for business owners receiving such emails which you might find useful.
- Never click on a link or attachment in the email.
- Do not respond to the email as any information within your reply could be used by hackers to target.
- If the email contains specific domain name references, think about if you want them for your business. If it’s a yes, Dalaric Ltd may be able to purchase it on your behalf at a far less price than stated in the email.
- Received an email about trademarks? Our best advice would be to consult with a legal professional in regards to protecting your trademark rights.
- Unsure when your domain is up for renewal? Or think you could have been targeted by a domain name scam? Your first port of call should be to contact someone clued up in all things IT. Of course, you’re more than welcome to contact us here at Dalaric Ltd where a member of our friendly team will be happy to help answer any questions you may have.
If you have enjoyed reading this article, read more on our blog.